July's 2026 sailing trip! Day one Seward to Bulldog Cove.

 I guess it has been some time since I updated the blog.

Last sailing season was pretty much a bust. We had to take S/V Ulu out of the water and do some pretty extensive repairs.

This season though, Ulu sailed like a dream!

Sean and I researched and poured over our route (see document) and went into this season with a few thoughts we had learned from the previous sailing seasons.

1. Weather gets a big vote! If the weather doesn't make sense, sailing doesn't make sense.

2. We are willing to change our route, our plan, our stays based on all the knowledge we have at the time a decision needs to be made.

3. We motor when there is a time sensitive location (such as we need to get to point XYZ before a strong tide, etc.). 

We arrived in Seward on Friday, July 3rd. We had hoped to leave on Saturday, July 4th, but that didn't work out (ie... the weather wasn't good). We started our trip a day later on Sunday, July 5th.

Sweet Dingo.

So cloudy and rainy on this day.

You know what they say about rain though right? It brings the waterfalls.

The rain stopped!

I like looking along the tide line when we sail or motor.

Looking back towards Seward.

It always amazes me where trees will grow.

Coming around Caine's Head.

More waterfalls!

Super happy with good gear! The trick I would say about sailing in Alaska is to not overdress. Sweat is not your friend here. A little cold is the way to go.

Getting ready to make the turn around the point towards Bulldog Cove.








Sean and Dingo.

Bulldog Cove. We have enjoyed this anchorage many times.

I wonder what the weather will bring us tomorrow.

Of course we have to take Dingo to shore so he can do his business.

You can tell how rainy it was! Why do I have to always try to see around his giant ears?!?

Something I found on the beach. Definitely a fish jaw.

Dwarf fireweed in bloom at this anchorage.

Patrick!!!!

One of the best parts of sailing, is the warm food for dinner!

I think Millie had butter noodles, but Sean made us beef Stroganoff and it was SO good!

Sailing notes: N Wind 10 knots, 2 ft seas.

Rain leaked from the helm to my side of the bed in the aft birth. My laptop was soaked!!!

We anchored at 40 feet or so and motored the entire way (18 nautical miles ish).

Millie wrote the following words in my log: Croissant, Patrick, Moist room. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trail River Campground

Day Care

Prince William Sound Day 4 ~ Mallard Bay Tide Pooling