Prince William Sound Day 4 ~ Squire Island


 I actually think that Squire Island was my favorite part of the trip. On to the photos.



Although the weather forecast we had for this area said there would not really be any wind, we did find some wind and took advantage of it.


There were so many sea otters here. Do you see them?


I was at the helm and really pinching the wind trying to point Ulu the direction I wanted to go, but I lost the wind and the tide/wind started pushing us towards an island.

I started to panic a bit, but Sean stepped in and got the boat turned around. After going the wrong direction for a bit, we were able to move back into the area we wanted to go.


That island behind Sean is what I tried to sail Ulu into.


Not far from Squire Cove.



This was our first time using the transom shower.

Millie used it first, but there wasn't very much hot water left in the hot water tank.


I also could not get her to pose for a photo, so I did one myself.


Squire Cove had a few areas we could explore by dinghy.


Back in this area, we were able to go ashore and do some hiking.



Sean and I went back to the boat to grab Autumn and go hiking.


The sun was coming out a little bit.


I'm grateful that Autumn doesn't mind tide pooling with me.


We recently purchased an anchor for the dinghy. I'm looking forward to trying it out.


Deer Cabbage.


Goldthread.



These bunch berries (Dogwood family) were growing on the side of a tree trunk.


When I got back to Sean and Autumn, I discovered a crab convention. 


I'm not sure what sort of flower this is. I have not ever seen it before. 


That's Ulu from the vantage point of where we were hiking.


Dingo is a good sport about things, but I don't think he appreciates the sailing life as much as the rest of us.

We had dinner, played some games and then went to bed. The next morning, Sean, Dingo and myself set out in the dingy for the little islands we saw on our way in to Squire Cove.






















The sea otter didn't really care about Sean or I, but it kept a close eye on Dingo.


I wanted to bring this shell back to Autumn, but I didn't think it would survive the trip. It was really a very delicate shell.









After exploring on foot and the dingy, I knew I wanted to check out an area I spotted on our way in to Spire Cove. I was almost certain I saw some sort of bones scattered about the beach and I had a hunch it might be whale bones.


Since Autumn didn't come with us, I picked up quite a few of these shells for her. When we got back to the boat and she saw all the shells and some of the pictures, she said she wished she had come.


Then I spotted the bones and sure enough, they were whale bones!



























This piece was absolutely massive. Peep the leather star!


We headed back to Ulu to pack up and continue on.

Next up: Montague Island, Hanning Bay.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowzilla.

Playing with fire.

The man in the box.