Camping Day Two.

Let me begin by saying that part of the reason we debated on camping at all is because at night, it is getting down to the upper 30's and low 40's. That is cold for sleeping outside (especially with Autumn). We found ourselves a tent heater though and decided we would give it a go. When it was time to go to bed, Autumn was so excited to be sleeping between Sean and I. She was laughing and playing, that is when I shot this little video.



Can I just add that I was also excited about this tent heater and the fact that Autumn had her very own sleeping bag. I felt fairly confident I would at least be warm even if I didn't sleep a wink. I hear every little noise when we are in a tent and think a bear is out to get us! I had the shot gun on my side of the bed and Sean had his pistol and we finally got Autumn to lay down.

It was cold! The tent heater didn't keep us warm. I think most of the problem was the tent. It wasn't designed for 30+ temperatures. We bought it like ten years ago and it is intended for summer camping in the lower 48. We need a smaller tent and one that doesn't have an opening on the top. Autumn DID NOT sleep in her sleeping bag we bought her, she kept pulling mine off of me. At one point she was upside down and kicking Sean and I in the face. I know I was punched in the eye a few times, blankie ended up in my face. Anyway, no one slept well and the only warm person was Autumn!!!! Little heat stealer!! On to day two!

We drove out to Snug Harbor Road out in Cooper landing. You can see that it is rapidly turning into my favorite season, autumn.

The fall
I really hope the next time Grandma/Grandpa Jordan come to visit us, they can do it during the fall. It is the most gorgeous place on earth here in Alaska fall time!

From Snug Harbor Road, we drove quite a ways back into the mountains and discovered this little trail.
The sign
Rainbow Lake Trail.

The trail
It looked like a good trail to take Autumn on, so off we went.

ha ha ha
Trying to get a picture of them walking together. ha ha ha!!

Serene Sean
Sean looks so serene. I wonder if he is pondering how many times Autumn kicked him in the face last night?

Sean and Autumn Rainbow lake
My two favorite humans.

hi
Hi! The morning started off quite cool- down in the upper 30's. I know I put on my snow pants and Autumn was wearing her winter coat.

Eating
Snack time. Autumn gets grumpy unless she has her snack on time!

Foggy
I thought the fog across the water looked a little spooky!

Pretty picture
Finally, the sun came out and started warming everything up!

Frost
Frost.

Cool spider web
Spider webs.

Creepy spider webs
You have to look closely at this picture, those are all spider webs through there!! Cindy, I don't recommend you go on this trail by yourself!!

Shooting
After our walk, we did some shooting. I finally got to shoot my 20 gauge. I did very good with it. I really like it actually. If we had more targets to shoot at, I would have stayed longer. Sean was shooting his 30/30 and his 45. Autumn watched from the car.

We went back to camp and packed up our stuff and decided it was time to hit up the Kenai Princess Lodge for lunch.

Making friends
Now it is warm! Autumn's face was turning red from the heat, I was hot, and Sean was really stinking hot because he was wearing Patagonia and it was black!!! It was 62 degrees and we were ready to jump into a pool! In this photo, Autumn was making friends with a lady sitting in the rocker next to her.

Beautiful smile
Autumn has such a beautiful smile.

Sean, there is an eagle on your face!
Sean, that Eagle has you with its claws!!!!!!!!

Sean Autumn eagle
Goofing around.

Overall, camping was a success! We do need to look into getting a new tent.

Comments

Megan said…
You got some beautiful pictures! And lol again to little Autumn! She was just in the mood to say "no", I guess? lol! I can't imagine camping in the low 30s! You guys are brave! As per usual though, Alaska looks just gorgeous.

Popular posts from this blog

Snowzilla.

Playing with fire.

With Crisis comes clarity.