Portage Lake to Byron Glacier











I finally finished my 12 weeks of infused antibiotics.  

Sean and I celebrated by heading down to Portage Lake to paddle with the intent to hike out to an ice cave at Byron Glacier.

It was raining on the way down to Portage Lake.

Once we arrived, I was beginning to get a bit nervous.

The water didn't look too choppy, but I was not feeling overly confident in my paddling skills and I was not all that familiar with Sean's boat.

We got the boats down to the water, Sean helped me get in his touring boat and I was off.

I'm not sure exactly how long we paddled, but it wasn't too far.

The wind was really starting to pick up and although I was paddling forward, I knew my boat was going backwards.  HA HA!!

Sean said we should turn around.

I knew he was right, but I was ashamed at my performance.

As soon as I started trying to turn around, I thought I was going to die.

Being parallel to a wave (even if it is small), will make you feel like you are going to tip right over.

I was having a bully of a time getting turn around and I had convinced myself I was going to flip into the cold water.

Sean came over and got his rudder down which helped me to steer the boat the way I needed to go.

We both made it back go shore without further issue.

We headed over to Byron.

This is less than a two mile hike to the ice cave.

I've never been to Byron this late in the year and I was really surprised by how much of the snow pack had melted away.

It was still rainy, it seems to always rain when I do Byron.

I had no idea that in order to get to the ice cave, we were going to have to ford the river (a few times).

I would have done things differently with that information.

I had my ice spikes (which I didn't need), but I would have just wore my NRS booties.

Anyway, here is our day in pictures.


Just on the highway.  There were two females in front of him.




Man I look derpy.






At Byron Glacier now.














I was trying to get Sean's photo, but he really blended in!





























I wasn't able to get my banana picture because after packing our lunch, we accidentally forgot to put the bag in the car!!


My little snuggle buddy was super upset that we went without him.  The bad thing is, we didn't paddle very long and he could have totally done Byron with us, but we didn't know that when we headed out.


My hip scar is healing nicely, but my butt really hurts.  LOL

I've started running again.  I'm working through the C25K program.

My shoulder scar.  It was a little puffy after paddling, but actually, it felt really great out on the water.


With all the rain and cooler temperatures, I've been craving tomato soup.  Mac n cheese goes great with tomato soup!


I picked at the corner because I was too hungry to wait.  

Have you ever heard of Beecher's cheese?  It is the bomb and what we used in this mac.


Getting rid of the downed limbs in the yard.



The woodpecker pecking at our dying tree.


I started the doxycycline on Sunday.  My stomach has been tore up since.


One of the trees in the front yard.  This tree will lose its needles.


Sunset in the AK is the best!





The Jordan's.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowzilla.

Playing with fire.

With Crisis comes clarity.