Williwaw Lakes with Cheryl, Rachel and Judy.

Oh Williwaw Lakes. 

How I loathe thee.

OK, not really, but I think I just have terrible luck with this trail.

Every time I do it, there is weather.

Last time I did it from Basher, this time I did it from Glen Alps.

It was considerably shorter from Glen Alps (17 miles vs 13).

On the way out, just past the bridge on Middle Forks, an ornery moose approached our group of four + 2 dogs.

That is really unusual behavior for a moose.

Cheryl honked her air horn at him, I was ready with the bear spray, but he lazily crossed the trail and was on his way.

We saw a total of 5 bull moose.

We saw a ton of sheep.

Once we got out to the lakes, the weather off in the distance rapidly approached.

We sat down and ate our snacks.

I had some hail hit me down by the lakes.

Then the wind really picked up.

It started to rain.

The trail turned pretty sloshy after that.

One member of our group has eye issues and this caused her to need to move really slowly.

It took us more than ten hours to go out and back.

I knew Sean was going to come look for me, so I ran ahead of the group to phone him and let him know we were OK, just slow.

I made my way back to the rest of the group and then it was the slow march home.

Overall we did 13.5 miles, 1700 feet of elevation and got back to the cars after dark.

It was a little nerve wracking getting back so late.

At one point, Rachel and I had one bull moose in front of us, and two behind us. EEK!

I learned a few things though.

I have a short want list now for my backpack to include: monocular, filtration system, head lamp.... just to name a few.

Our hike in pictures.







Willow.






























I've been here before!











You can see the weather off in the distance.









It sort of looks like a heart.









Even though I have been here before, I had no idea there were waterfalls along the way.  Last time I was here, the entire area was socked in by clouds.







Spaghnam Moss I believe.


The trail to the ballfield.







Sheep.  Can you spot them?


Taking our lunch break.










Two bull moose.  Seemed odd to me.






I was so happy to get back to my car.  I know it doesn't look very dark, but that is night site on my phone.  Anchorage is all lit up.  All I could think about was getting in my car, turning the seat heater on and drooling over the thought of pizza!

The Jordan's.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowzilla.

Playing with fire.

With Crisis comes clarity.