4th of July.

Shew what a busy day yesterday! Before I get to the fourth of July festivities I need to give a review on my homemade finger paints.

Photobucket
The finger-paints themselves were easy to make. The hardest part was stirring in the color. The consistency of the finished product was a little weird to me, almost like a pasty glue, however, they worked pretty good (except the green which I added water to in order to thin it out... fail!). The GIRLS loved it!

Photobucket
Millie trying to get that green to work.

Photobucket
Autumn thought it was pretty cool. It took some convincing for her to get her fingers "dirty." My only complaint would be that they stained our fingers, but really they were very slightly stained.

Photobucket
Can you tell she had a lot of fun?

So on to the fourth.

Every day we've been getting inclement weather in the afternoon.... LAME! This morning when we all woke up, we decided we would head out to the pool early. This was great for at least a few reasons....

1. The water was much cooler than it has been. I don't know if it was the rain that cooled it down, or the sun just didn't have a chance to warm it up, but it was refreshing!

2. While the girls played in the pool, I mowed the back yard!

3. I could hop right in the water when I was done! SUCCESS!!

Photobucket
Autumn is getting really impressive in the pool. I'm excited to see how she does in my mom's pool next time. You know how she likes us to count while she is under water? She is up to 15 now. No, not 15 seconds, because I'm counting faster than that, but when she started she was at 5, and now she is all the way up to 15.

Photobucket
Mllie gets more and more comfortable in the water each time she gets in, but I still have to watch her pretty closely. She gets in the pool all by herself which quite frankly, is scary.

Photobucket
The cone of shame! Millie put that around my neck! So the grass in the backyard is starting to look better and better all the time. I found two ant piles back there while I was mowing. Fire ants. I didn't mind the occasional fire ant bed in the front yard, we are hardly ever out there, but in the back yard, UNACCEPTABLE.

After pool time we decided we would grill out. I realize I'm not the only one who had that in mind.

Photobucket
Autumn got a pretty big kick out of Walden cooking! As far as our grilling was concerned, after starting the propane grill and going inside to prepare the corn, I walk back out and realize we are out of propane. I don't know if we have some more somewhere, I couldn't find any, so I put my corn in the fridge and cooked the hotdogs stove top.

Photobucket
I don't think they cared. I will pick up some propane sometime soon. I don't want to miss out on grilled corn. I am thinking about using the charcoal grill, but there are a few things I cannot remember. Do I put the coal in first? I know, now you are scared. I know to dump out those ashes, but then you stick the coal in and then the smoker????

So after lunch, Millie took her nap, I sent Autumn to her room for quiet time. I headed out to the front yard and mowed the front and side. We have LOTS of ants up there. We also have a ton of weeds. I have to tell you, it really is getting embarrassing to me. I'm looking around me and our yard has got to be one of the worst ones on our street. Picking weeds just isn't doing it.

After I'm done mowing the weeds, I get back in the pool. Autumn rejoins me and we splash and play around. We get out to check on Millie, she is awake! We get dressed and head on over to Sam's club. I buy cat food, milk, ant killer and weed/feed. I spent $77 (OUCH!). Good thing I already bought all my groceries for the next two weeks. We get home and I put the milk away and read the labels for the ant killer and then the weed and feed. The ant killer says to apply dry and then soak. The weed killer says to apply wet. I am thinking this is a no brainer. I put the ant killer out in sections and then ran the sprinkler system on that section while I moved to the next area of the yard.

Once I was finished with the ant killer, I started applying the weed and feed. I am only worried that it was too much chemicals all at once? I don't know, this morning everything looks OK. I just have to keep the girls and cats off the grass until tonight. Another question? It isn't supposed to get wet for 24 hours. I turned the rainbird to off. What days is that thing going? I'm concerned that if I do not turn it back on until Friday, the lawn won't get watered until Sunday. Is that too long?

So, now that the yard has been mowed, ant killered, watered and weed killed, I am sunburned and quite frankly tired. I head inside to cook dinner. On the menu? Spaghetti for the girls and

Photobucket
Tomato, Basil and mozzarella skewers over spaghetti for me. The tomatoes and mozzarella were drizzled with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. It was delightful and took minimal amount of cooking.

After dinner, the girls and I take a phone call from Julie/Brandon (they wanted to wish us a happy 4th), then we head out to Grandma and Grandpa Jordan's. The girls run around there like maniacs and about 815 we head over to Talbot county for the fireworks. It took a good 45 minutes to even get in for the parking!

Photobucket
Not sure how well you can see, but there were a TON of people in there. Your mom and dad turned around to head home. Your dad didn't want to stay up late because he had work the next day. I was thinking by the time we got in there, the firework show would get started and we'd be near the exit! WRONG!!

Photobucket
Hello Sean!

The fireworks didn't start until just after 10 pm. HOLY COW that was late. The girls got grouchy. They didn't want to wait outside of the car because of the bugs and we even had bug spray on. Waiting inside the car was hot. I didn't want to run the car for two hours! Millie kept throwing stuff out the windows and then crying. I got out to retrieve something and she smashed my ROUTE 44 sized Sonic cup full of water and a splash of lime. Want to take a wild guess as to which seat that went into?? Yep, mine. Darn!! Darn!!! DARN!!!!

Finally, the fireworks begin. Autumn thought it was really cool. Millie was repeating, "More fires. More fires." Creepy Millie! All of a sudden, it gets really quiet in the backseat and I turn around, Autumn is passed out. Are you serious!!!!!!!!!!! Millie stayed up but about 10 minutes in she was saying, "Out. Of. Here." Over and over! The show lasted about 30 minutes. I was shocked. I figured it would be rinky dink. It was pretty good. Can you believe this was the first time the girls got to see fourth of July fireworks??

4th of July in Alaska is totally different. Speaking of Alaska. Have you kept up with Kelly? He posted this yesterday:

Photobucket
He said something like You made plans? Alaska doesn't care! ha ha How true!

He also posted this: picture. I hope the link works. Have I mentioned how much I miss Alaska. What I would give to trade these 100+ degree weed growing, mind numbing temperatures for another day out there!

Back to us. We got home sometime after 11 pm. I wanted to update my blog then, but I was just too tired. So sorry this is late. I got both the girls in their bed and then hopped in mine. It took me some time to fall asleep, but I slept well once I did.

I love you and miss you so much! The fourth of July just isn't the same without you. Autumn was quite disappointed at OUR lack of fireworks. I just explained to her that that is something we have to do with daddy. She said, "What about grandpa?" Gosh, I didn't think of that. Maybe Autumn should be in charge.....

Photobucket
A small view of the show. I forgot to add this picture when I made the original post. SORRY!

Your current wife and favorite airman. xoxo

The Count: 12 Days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowzilla.

Playing with fire.

With Crisis comes clarity.