Michigan City... Indiana that is.

Thursday finds us well rested and getting ready for a day of driving. I had intended to leave Grandma Betty's around 10 am, but we were up, dressed, fed and ready to hit the road by 9 am. When I told Autumn it was time to go, she got upset and told me she wanted to stay here with Spider grandma 2. I told her it was time to head out to the beach and visit my grandma now. She says to me, "I don't want to see your spider Grandma, I want to stay here." It was sad, but I finally did convince the girl to get going. I headed North on US 41 out of Newtown.

On our way, we kept coming across these:
Photobucket
The girls thought they were totally cool, so I figured I take a picture of them to help them remember. Millie learned a few phrases with this discovery.. "wind mill" and "far away." I wish you could hear her talking about the wind mills, she was extremely excited about it.

Once we were on 41 North, I took a side road to Interstate 65. Took that North and it dumped me out right on highway 12. I drove along side that for awhile and then just randomly took a left turn somewhere and found the beach. I asked a lady who was outside watering her flowers where the public parking was. She sent me to Washington Park. It cost $6 to get in and there was a zoo and a splash pad. On our way over, the temperature was:

Photobucket
Freaking HOT! I asked the parking attendant about showers and she said there were showers. Great! So I get the car parked and it was now about noon. I was unable to locate any food for us, so we just went with it. We had water, what else did we need?

Photobucket
Millie.

Photobucket
Autumn. Thank goodness we were wearing our sandals... holy cow that was hot!

Photobucket
Cheese.

Photobucket
Millie and I stepped into that water and while it relieved my feet from the scorching it just took on the sand, it took my breath away too. It was very cold!

Photobucket

Photobucket
That is as far in as Millie would go. We both hung back and just watched Autumn in disbelief. The other cool thing about this place was there were two light houses. I didn't get a picture of them though.. shame on me!

Photobucket
Autumn would go pretty far out there. She really wanted to practice her swimming.

Photobucket
This was old hat to our Alaska grown.

After about 45 minutes, I pulled Autumn from the water because I was hungry and just couldn't take waiting any more. We left looking for the showers and never found them. We ended up changing in the bathroom of a McDonald's. I got the girls their happy meals, but you know me, I won't eat McDonald's. It is too disgusting. So I continued on with nothing to eat. We arrived in Michigan, at my Grandma's house at 6 pm. I haven't seen my grandma since I was younger than Millie. It was great to see her again. I was sick of being on the road though.

That night, the girls and I slept on a twinish sized bed. We were hot and miserable. Autumn told me flat out most the day she wanted to go home. She said over and over that she missed her Spider house grandma and spider house granmda 2. Once every one was in bed and fast asleep, both the girls were crying in their sleep. I thought Millie had woken up, but she was in fact sleeping and crying. I knew the next morning we would be heading home. We needed to go home.

It was great to go on this trip and spend so much time with extended family, but we needed to get back to as normal a life as we could, with us three girls.

I had such mixed feelings about going home. Who wants to go home to an empty house. I knew it would make me miss you even more.

Your Current wife and favorite airman. xoxo

The Count: Day 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowzilla.

Playing with fire.

With Crisis comes clarity.